Cerca nel blog

mercoledì 6 giugno 2012

Days of Being Wild, by Wong Kar Wai


Yesterday I watched Days Of Being Wild, by Wong Kar Wai.



A few months ago I watched Happy Together by the same director, and I liked that film so much that I haven't been able to write about it yet. I can say it's one of my absolute favorite films and Wong Kar Wai is without a doubt my absolute favourite director, for his themes and the strong and melancholic way he depicts feelings. I adore everything in his films, the suggestive settings, the greenish and reddish light enveloping everything, the interior decoration details and the clothes. And the music is simply wonderful, especially what is composed by Shigeru Umebayashi.



Days of Being Wild (1990)is set in Hong Kong during the '60's and focuses on the life of Yuddy (Leslie Cheung) after he learns from the drunken ex-prostitute who raised him that she is not his real mother. He is very shocked and hurt by this revelation and he's overwhelmed by a flow of contrasting feelings. He meets two women in these wild days and makes both of them unhappy. One of them becomes friendly with a cop in the rainy nights following her final parting from Yuddy. After learning that his birth mother is in the Philippinnes, Yuddy travels there, just to be hurt once more as the woman refuses to meet him.





As is often the case in Wong Kar-Wai's films, all characters somehow hurt each other, love hurts and pierces and leaves destruction behind, yet love is all what life is about. I think this is very true, and I like extremely much the way this director can show it in his films, with a melancholic beauty that is poetic but not sentimental, tender but not sappy, "arty" but achingly true and recognizable.





Nessun commento:

Posta un commento