Cerca nel blog

venerdì 27 aprile 2012

About one of the many things my daughter has taught me



“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” Thich Nhat Hanh





Today, I took a mindful walk with my family. That is, though we were actually going to a park a few miles away from our apartment, we decided to take it easy and follow our daughter's pace. She is 3 and a half years old. She has no clear sense of time, or rather, she's still wonderfully tuned to her inner rhythms rather than to the hectic standards of our grown-up world. She's eyes and hands and nose and ears; she's perceptive, voracious of feelings, curious. In a word: mindful. She lives in the present moment, savours it hungrily and fully. She can naturally do what grown-ups (including me) try to learn in meditation classes, or by reading books on meditation: that is, to just focus on each second, feed your mind through the blend of perceptions the world around you can offer and that are often left unnoticed in our daily rush and through our tendency to think about what we are going to do next.

So, we took a wonderful mindful walk. We were nowhere else than where our feet were stepping, our hands touching. The earth and the trees had a gorgeous smell. The sky was breathtakingly beautiful. Buds on trees and flowers everywhere were delicious to see. The sun through the tree leaves in the forest drew delicate patterns on the damp soil. We were so calm that butterflies were not afraid of us, a few of them just kept leisurely flying close to us.

We discovered countless amazing small things, touched them, looked at them.

Very mindfully.

























(To those who took the time to watch all the photos: THANKS!)

8 commenti:

  1. Very pleased to hear that!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Are you in Sweden or in Italy? I would say Sweden by watching the photos but at the same time it looks too springish to be Sweden ;)
    I love the perfect mix you make of these two cultures. I graduated in Danish ans Scandinavian Lit. but then I decided to focus only on English as no matter how much I loved living in CPH...Danish was so difficult...! *.* but reading your blog I feel this nostalgia and I ask myself what if..what if..

    RispondiElimina
  3. Her tiny hand with a small flower is really cute.

    RispondiElimina
  4. @ Yagian: Thanks! Yes, her tiny hands exploring the world are really cute and moving! :)

    @ kirsebær: Thank you so much! I'm living in Stockholm at the moment. We truly live in a mixture of these two cultures, we even mix the two languages at home. :) Sweden has wonderful sides, for example nature is simply wonderful, but I moved here in a moment of my life when I would have rather stayed in Italy so I find it a little hard to stay here. I struggle with nostalgia very often.
    So you speak Danish, wow!! I graduated in English and Russian and I've learnt Swedish here. I love Scandinavian Lit., especially many authors who are unknown in Italy. Do you know Jens Christian Grøndahl? And Pia Tafdrup?

    RispondiElimina
  5. I must admitt that I dont know them very well. I heard about them but never had the chance to dive into their words. I'd be more than glad if you could suggest some titles.
    Btw It's too much to say that I speak Danish, I can make myself understood :)
    I do think CPH is the city of my heart, my first love and I still dream of some corners there- I really hope I'll have the chance to go back there in the future. But at the same time I understand when you speak of nostalgia..now that I'm in Cambridge I really miss my own culture, my language, my sky quite often..

    RispondiElimina
  6. I've read "Over vandet går jeg" by Pia T., in Swedish. It's a collection of thoughts about writing and poetry. And I bought her only novel long ago, without ever reading it. About Grøndahl, my boyfriend thought that "Lucca" was very good.
    What I miss most from Italy is my family (parents, etc,) and friends. Familiar voices. Common ground (culture, language, attitude towards life). Here I feel like a tree standing upside down, with its roots gasping in the air. Yet Stockholm IS the city of my heart. Too many happy-sad memories stuck here! :)

    RispondiElimina
  7. I really understand what you mean that a tree stading upside down. Living abroad is not easy. Culture you grew up in more or less influence your life. However we have to accept and respect the different culture even we do not agree from the bottom.

    RispondiElimina