Cerca nel blog

venerdì 9 dicembre 2011

Tea & Books Reading Challenge



As far as I can remember, books and tea have always been in my life. An immense pleasure, a reviving comfort, and even - seriously - a biological necessity. My brain freaks out without a constant dose of tea and books. I don't just love to read books and drink tea. I love to leaf through books I've already read, carry a book or two wherever I go; I'm mad for opening metal tea boxes and smelling the scent of dried tea leaves, I'm always eager to try new teas, and I have an obsession with tea cups. So, this Challenge is just perfect for me! :)
During 2011 - so far - I've read around 40 books, I mean read through, from cover to cover, while some more were left unfinished along the way. They were mainly in English and Italian, and a few in Swedish (I've been lazy with French and Russian, I will try to compensate for this next year). None of all those books reached 700 pages. I have nothing against huge books, I've read and enjoyed a few, like The Brothers Karamazov, the fact is that there aren't that many big tomes I've ever felt interested in. BUT I have two on my bookshelf, they've been there quite a while now and actually one of them was already on my 2012 list. I'm talking about The Crimson Petal and the White, by Michel Faber. I've read other things by him, and liked them a lot, and The Crimson Petal is set in my beloved London, so I really don't know why I haven't read it yet. The other book is The Lord of the Rings. Generally speaking, I'm not much of a fantasy reader, with a few exceptions. Yet I've always felt that The Lord of the Rings is not only for fantasy readers, and we even have it in three languages (English, Italian and Swedish, as usual). So I will take part in this challenge, humbly picking the basic level Chamomile Lover. I will start with The Crimson Petal in January at the earliest because I'm reading other things for pleasure, plus some more stuff for my upcoming new job, which is my biggest challenge at the moment! I might upgrade my level anyway, who knows. And I'm curious to see what other readers will choose....

5 commenti:

  1. Welcome to the Tea & Books challenge! Have fun and happy reading!

    RispondiElimina
  2. You have two wonderful books. The Crimson petal & The White especially. I envy anyone coming to that book for the first time and I would love to have the time to read it all over again. I wish you happy reading!

    RispondiElimina
  3. I watched through the film "The Lord of the Rings", but the books are still on my book shelf....

    RispondiElimina
  4. @FleurFisher: I'm truly eager to start reading The Crimson Petal and the White, the more I think about, the more I want to begin the journey through the pages. Btw, you have a wonderful blog and though I've never been to Cornwall, it's one of the places I have often visited in my imagination, thanks to some unforgettable books like Rebecca.
    @Yagian: I have never watched the film because I was determined to read the book first, and I WILL do it :) Everyone says they liked it, so many different people seem to agree on the fact that it's a wonderful book, so I will give it a try...

    RispondiElimina
  5. Ah, you remind me. I need to read The Crimson Petal and the White. I have had it for years left unread on my bookshelf.

    Well, it might work it's way into this challenge yet, I do not know. I signed up to read 8 and know what 4-5 of them will be but I've left the others up to fate.

    Good luck with your reading for 2012 - I absolutely can't wait. I think I have some really good ones on my shelf to read.

    RispondiElimina