Cerca nel blog

venerdì 30 dicembre 2011

My 2011 in books



I've been away from my blog for a couple of weeks.... we moved back to Italy and I had to deal with a turmoil of positive emotions and energy. After being away for so long my perception of smells, colours, atmospheres was amazingly sharp and intense. For instance, the smell of winter. The earthy, foggy, rich smell of winter evenings in the countryside struck me both as something completely new and overwhelmingly familiar. A beautiful feeling, yet slightly melancholic, evoking mixed memories from past winters.

Every morning, when we get up, we open the window in our study and see the sun rising in the field opposite our house, so preciously beautiful.

Anyway, in less than 48 hours a new year begins, and I wanted to list the books I've read during 2011, maybe write a few lines about each of them, and some reviews. At the moment I'm deeply into 1Q84, wonderful as only Murakami can be.

So, here's my list. I'll write books in the language I've read them.

January

Innan du somnar, by Linn Ullmann
The Sea, the Sea, by Iris Murdoch

February

A Severed Head, Iris Murdoch
Fleana, bambina triste, Laura Facollo
The Unicorn, Iris Murdoch

March

Not I, but the Wind, Frieda Lawrence
Sons and Lovers, D.H.Lawrence
Una bambina e basta, Lia Levi
Nessuno si salva da solo, Margaret Mazzantini
Stelle di cannella, Helga Schneider

April

The Hours, Michael Cunningham
Il bambino ritrovato, Alda Marcoli

May

Il cammino dell'uomo, Martin Buber
Memorie di una Geisha, Arthur Golden
L'abito di piume, Banana Yoshimoto
Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami

June

Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami
After the Quake, Haruki Murakami
La fine del mondo e il paese delle meraviglie, Haruki Murakami
The North-China Lover, Marguerite Duras

July

The key, Junikiro Tanizaki
Il mio Nome è rosso, Orhan Pamuk
Dance, Dance, Dance, Haruki Murakami
L'anulare, Yoko Ogawa
Profumo di ghiaccio, Yoko Ogawa

August

L'energia vitale della donna, Xiolan Zhao
L'isola di Arturo, Elsa Morante

September

Il sole si spegne, Osamu Dazai
Polvere rossa, Ma Jian
Un bacio, Ivan Cotroneo
La madre del riso, Rani Manicka
Il medico di te stesso, Naboru Muramoto

October

Il rumore delle onde, Yukio Mishima
Il sorriso dell'agnello, David Grossman


November

Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
Why Love matters, Sue Gerhardt
Trastulli di animali, Yukio Mishima

December

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers
The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
The Beach, Alex Garland

Each book deserves at least a short post, so I will be busy writing these days. :)

6 commenti:

  1. Happy new year!
    I also see sun rising from the window of my study. It give me energy to live that day.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Thank you so much! And Happy New Year to you, too. :)
    Ps - I remember your post about your early morning twits, I liked it very much! :)

    RispondiElimina
  3. I like the film "Infernal Affairs".

    RispondiElimina
  4. I haven't seen it, but I'll try to find it, thank you for your suggestion.
    Have you read 1Q84?

    RispondiElimina
  5. I've read book 1 and 2 in Italian, and now I'm waiting for book 3 in English, it should be delivered any of these days. After that I'll write a post about it, I think. We can share our opinions and impressions :)

    RispondiElimina