Cerca nel blog

martedì 13 dicembre 2011

A handful of books, and nearly Goodbye Stockholm





We are going back to Italy in a few days, and we are going to stay there for a little more than 3 months. There are billions of things I could write about: my feelings, my expectations, the things I've missed here and those I'm going to miss there. I could write about how from an Italian perspective I'm an emigrant, from a Swedish perspective I'm an immigrant, while from my own perspective I'm caught somewhere in between, suspended between two worlds, two ways of life, two completely different ranges of possibilities. Both places are mine, in very different ways. Both my tiny home town in the North of Italy and the always-perfectly-functioning capital of Sweden. But none of that has anything to do with a book&film blog.
I will just say that, though my heart has been craving for All I Left Behind, and though I'm definitely happy to go back to Italy, now, with our passports ready and the floor scattered with open bags and suitcases, some sort of submerged fondness makes my heart sink a little at the thought of being away from Stockholm. The bare fact of Leaving a place implies melancholy thoughts. So, I'm madly happy to go home, but with a slightly melancholic happiness.
When we move from our flat in Stockholm to our house in Italy (or the other way around), I always perform my Browse-through-the-books Ritual: I look at all the books on the shelves, take out some, leaf through them, put them back and pick some more until I decide what book I want to read. I'm very fond of this little ritual, and I'm already thinking about the books I'll take out and start first. Here they are:

Michel Faber - The Crimson Petal and the White

Jon McGregor - If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things.

Mo Yan - Red Sorghum

David Grossman - To the End of the Land

Elizabeth Von Arnim - Vera

John R. R. Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings

Charles Dickens - The Old Curiosity Shop

So, my heart packed with happiness plus a blend of nervousness and submerged melancholy, I'm ready to go!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento